Sometimes, you just need a quick salad, something that’s bright and fresh but still lets the main course be the star of the meal.
This happens a lot on Sandwich Wednesday, the night when the Glover Gardens Grill-Meister becomes the Panini-Maker. I highly recommend Sandwich Wednesday for every household; it makes the mid-week dinner something to look forward to. Read all about our Sandwich Wednesday, including the appliance and cookbooks that power it.
I was motivated to make this salad because when I arrived home on a recent Wednesday, the Grill-Meister had all of the ingredients ready for a wonderful Steak and Bacon Panini (recipe later, I promise) and I was in the mood to play a supporting role in the kitchen. Thus, the super-quick, lemony goodness that follows. The recipe serves 8, and I usually half it because we are a small household – and getting smaller with the youngest heading to college next month.
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced (peel a few strips with a peeler to make it pretty if you like)
- 1 medium ripe tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado or two small ones, roughly chopped
- Juice of two small lemons (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped basil or other fresh herb of your choice (oregano, mint, parsley, cilantro), or 1 tsp. dried basil or other herb
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all of the salad ingredients in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk with a fork. Pour over the salad and stir gently, being careful not to mash the avocado. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
The Grill-Meister was very complimentary about this salad. “There’s something about the rich combination of the avocado and the olive oil, balanced by the tartness of the lemon…” And I agree with him, there’s definitely something about this combination. It’s really important to use high-quality olive oil for any fresh salad dressing – it has a huge impact on the flavor. I like to buy local and get my artisan olive oil for all our favorite dishes from Olivero Farms at our local farmer’s market.