If you’ve followed Glover Gardens for more than a week or two, you’ll have read about our Musical Millennial. In his third year studying Jazz Composition at the University of Texas, he plays piano and I’m a teensy bit proud of him. So performances and cool happenings get posted here from time to time.
Today’s “listening pleasure” post is a bit different. Rather than a recording of a tune, it’s a 10-minute panel discussion about jazz composition. That’s the Musical Millennial on the right, in the red shirt, with his professors and other students in the program.
The tips and advice that the professors and students share are useful far beyond the jazz composition world: work to a deadline, don’t try to make everything your next masterpiece… good stuff!
If you’re interested in jazz and how it gets created, give it a listen, and let me know what you think. And if you’re really interested, here are some more “listening pleasure” posts:
- For Your Listening Pleasure, a Jazzy Arrangement of ‘Baby I’
- Le Ballon Rouge by The Musical Millennial, for Your Listening Pleasure
- Coming Along, Another New Jazz Composition for Your Saturday Listening Pleasure
- A Brand-New Jazz Composition for Your Sunday Listening PleasureFor Your Friday Night Listening Pleasure
- New Jazz Composition, “A Modern Requiem” – a Tribute to a Wonderful Grandfather
- Jazz and Conversation for Your Listening Pleasure
- A Little More Music for a Sunday Evening: Freedom of Expression by Thomas Wenglinski
There’s more…but you’ve probably got some Saturday chores. I know I do! And also, we’re headed out to Austin for the University of Texas Longhorn Jazz Festival concert tonight – so you can expect more posts on this topic soon. It’s exciting – the UT Jazz Orchestra is hosting special guest Joe Lovano, the great jazz saxophonist. How cool is it that a college junior gets to play with a pro like this???
Update: I just remembered that tonight’s concert will be live-streamed – 7:30 p.m. Central Daylight Time. Here’s the link: https://music.utexas.edu/concerts-events/live-stream.
© 2019 Glover Gardens