Yesterday, I shared the saga of the magic avocado-dill spread. In a word: yum! Today, I need to share the super-easy instructions for the pita sandwich we made with smoked salmon and the creamy, light green spread.
First, we had it on a blackened fish sandwich. It was creamy, tangy, mild and perfect. Then we thought, what else could we serve this magnificent condiment with? Smoked salmon pitas, that’s what!
So today, I need to fill you in on the ultimate simplicity of the pita we made, so that you can make it, too.
Smoked Salmon and Avocado-Dill Pita Recipe
- Two pita breads, halved and opened
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup arugula, butter lettuce or other greens
- 1/4 very ripe medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. high-quality cold-smoked salmon (lox0
- 1/2 ripe avocado (optional)
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 green onion, white and green parts, minced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 2 drops tabasco
For the spread: scoop out the avocado flesh using the knife and spoon technique (click here for instructions if you haven’t done it before), put it in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir/mash vigorously with the fork to combine. Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
For the pita: spread the inside of each half of pita bread with the avocado-dill spread, then stuff it with the rest of the ingredients.
© 2020, Glover Gardens