I have a peculiar hobby – I compulsively buy fancy / fun / funky condiments. And then I have to make up recipes to use them with. I am a complete sucker for the condiments on offer at the local farmer’s market and love the challenge of creating new dishes or spicing up old ones with the treasures I pick up.
My Pepper Jelly Slaw came into being because I had some Inferno Sauce (like red pepper jelly) from one of my favorite vendors at the Tomball Farmers’ Market, Just Pure Flavors, and I wanted to use it for a spicy slaw. I love throwing together a quick slaw, especially for a quick summer side dish, and seldom do it the same way twice. But writing a cookbook requires a little more consistency, so today I’m capturing the Inferno Sauce / pepper jelly version of my throw-down slaw.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped multi-colored peppers (bell, banana, whatever you’ve got, even jalapeño if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup red pepper jelly, jalapeño jelly or my favorite the Inferno Sauce from Just Pure Flavors
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper
In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, red onion and peppers. In a small bowl, whisk together the pepper jelly, cider vinegar, olive oil (if you’re using it) salt and pepper, then add the cilantro or parsley and whisk again. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss, then refrigerate for a half hour. Toss again before serving.
Serving tip: this slaw is a fantastic side dish with grilled meat or fish, and is also fun atop burgers.
Copyright 2016, Glover Gardens Cookbook.